mikedolbear.com discussion forum

Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

Main Site | Shop | Classifieds | Links | Events | Frappr | Terms of Use

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Drummers Forum
 Buddy Rich Memorial concert 2012

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bhavdrums Posted - 01/04/2012 : 18:46:51
Hi All,

I just wanted to know if anyone is going? There might have been a thread about this already so apologies if I missed it, I just ordered a ticket and I am looking forward to it.

I feel it is a shame that Pete Cater is not playing on the bill, as he does fly the flag for buddy rich tributes with his band.

Is there some bad press around this event have I missed something? Suprised to not have seen a post about this?
50   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Richie Paradise Posted - 20/04/2012 : 07:42:30
quote:
Originally posted by GoatStarer

http://paradiseartists.com/artists/buddy_rich/index.html

I've been on holiday so missed all this.

Just for the record, Paradise Artists has nothing to do with me

Great to see and hear about Buddy. As a drummer and a cabaret promoter I really love the whole vaudeville roots and banter that you get alongside the stunning drumming. He's the reason I started a Big Band, dreadful to see what's happened, that band wont inspire anybody.
DRuM Posted - 17/04/2012 : 18:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by monkeythedrummer

I figured it might be a windup, cheekymonkeythedrummer
I only found this james may

http://mapex.co.uk/artists/james-may
monkeythedrummer Posted - 17/04/2012 : 18:20:33

DRuM Posted - 17/04/2012 : 18:09:14
James May from top gear? Is he really a drummer? On wiki it says he plays piano, but no idea he played kit.
Mr NoChops Posted - 17/04/2012 : 12:54:36
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr NoChops

quote:

quote:

The last time a concert took place in London featuring the BR repertoire it also took place on a Monday. It can work because a lot of musos are not working and they will come out and support their colleagues. The gig I'm referring to took place at Cadogan Hall just off Sloane Square and 791 out of a possible 856 seats were sold. The band was fabulous and the drummer was quite good too although I'd never heard of him. David Sinclair writing in the Times the following day described it as an "impeccable tribute to the music of the late Buddy Rich". They played West Side Story as well, which was nice. I just wish I could remember the name of the fecking drummer.

True about the economy though. I'm sure it's tough selling tickets with things as they are.

I think it was James May. From that top gear program. Pretty similar hair anyway. He could play a bit an all, but probably not as a good as Jeremy Clarkson.

That explains everything. What I liked about it was that it wasn't an attempt at a note for note replication of Buddy Rich's playing, moreover James May swung the hell out of the band and played some interesting solos that were in the tradition of the great masters but incorporated a lot of contemporary motifs too. Also his banter between numbers was funny and spontaneous, not relying on a script or autocue, unlike some!
I wish I could get him to give me lessons.

Next time they should get Clarkson however. I think he'd add a pinch of class....

In all seriousness the Cadogan hall gig was the best drumming I've ever seen.

James May thanks you, he told me to tell you that it's comments like that which make everything worthwhile.

monkeythedrummer Posted - 17/04/2012 : 12:45:52
quote:

quote:

quote:

The last time a concert took place in London featuring the BR repertoire it also took place on a Monday. It can work because a lot of musos are not working and they will come out and support their colleagues. The gig I'm referring to took place at Cadogan Hall just off Sloane Square and 791 out of a possible 856 seats were sold. The band was fabulous and the drummer was quite good too although I'd never heard of him. David Sinclair writing in the Times the following day described it as an "impeccable tribute to the music of the late Buddy Rich". They played West Side Story as well, which was nice. I just wish I could remember the name of the fecking drummer.

True about the economy though. I'm sure it's tough selling tickets with things as they are.

I think it was James May. From that top gear program. Pretty similar hair anyway. He could play a bit an all, but probably not as a good as Jeremy Clarkson.

That explains everything. What I liked about it was that it wasn't an attempt at a note for note replication of Buddy Rich's playing, moreover James May swung the hell out of the band and played some interesting solos that were in the tradition of the great masters but incorporated a lot of contemporary motifs too. Also his banter between numbers was funny and spontaneous, not relying on a script or autocue, unlike some!

Next time they should get Clarkson however. I think he'd add a pinch of class....

In all seriousness the Cadogan hall gig was the best drumming I've ever seen.

althedrummer Posted - 17/04/2012 : 12:37:28
quote:

quote:

quote:

Poor taste in T shirts though.
Mr NoChops Posted - 17/04/2012 : 12:34:56
quote:

quote:

monkeythedrummer Posted - 17/04/2012 : 11:42:14
quote:

Mr NoChops Posted - 16/04/2012 : 16:59:21
quote:
Originally posted by Yard

quote:

quote:

Buddy would never get a gig in todays world..playing has moved on so they tell me?

Ha !!

I have to admit that he was incredible as I have never seen anyone look so confident on a kit apart from Vinnie,as though it was the simplest thing to do?

Vinnie is as close as it gets to full flow?

I also loved the fact that he was extremely nice to the band and always hugged and kissed each one daily whilst praising them for their fine work!

I can't see anyone coming anywhere close to his unique style...

Well,close but not a cigar in sight.He was an inspiration to all those who can appreciate a master and old time band leader as ruthless as Pete Murray...(I made that last bit up as Pete is a nice bloke)

I remember him when he used to do the morning show on Radio 2. He had Arthur Mullard on as a guest one day which didn't go according to plan. I think it was the drummer Rex Bennett recalled having the car radio on and laughing so much he nearly crashed after Arthur's on air 'faux pas'.

Didn't know he had a band though!

Bhavdrums Posted - 16/04/2012 : 15:50:53
quote:
Originally posted by mike dolbear

quote:

quote:

http://youtu.be/uJ7Yi7mZPc8

what a cock ...

Its saddens me but I have made a tough decision Mark your just not welcome hear.
You're a great drummer and one I have respected for many years but you just appear to come onto MY forum and stir it up when people are trying to be nice you throw it back in their face.

I have to admit when you stopped posting I was happy as I didn't have to worry about what you have gone and said now.

As this is my website and I pay for it I have decided that some of your postings cause me to many problems.

Like I said I love you're playing and your one of the best in the UK and I wish you all the best.

Oh dear, this whole thread seems to have got out of hand slightly, I do feel Mike that people do have a right to criticise, I have to say though that sort of language I expect not to be tolerated.

Is there anyway you could give Mark a warning, and not ban him? As you said though it is your website/forum and you make the decisions I am sorry its had to come to this.
Hugs Posted - 16/04/2012 : 14:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by jamoca

quote:
Originally posted by metallicpearl

It is a shame but this is a community. Personally, I found the tirade at Jamoca in the other thread unbelievable.

It doesn't matter how good a player you are. You can't just be horrible to other forum members.

I didn't understand that at all.

It was very strange having that come from Mark after 18 months of him not posting - as the other thread would suggest I did go to his clinic and have been to a number of his gigs, one of which was in that 18-month period. He even gave me some brushes.

Extremely eccentric behaviour.

Like Mike, I have huge respect for his playing, and although I admit will never be half as good a drummer as him, certainly did not expect that level of abuse.

I think he misinterpreted your comment about the length of discussion at the clinic as being a criticism. Over the top response nonetheless.

martydrums Posted - 16/04/2012 : 14:11:11
Just been over to visit that "other" thread. Hmm, yeah, that go at Josh did seem particularly OTT.
jamoca Posted - 16/04/2012 : 13:44:31
quote:
Originally posted by metallicpearl

It is a shame but this is a community. Personally, I found the tirade at Jamoca in the other thread unbelievable.

It doesn't matter how good a player you are. You can't just be horrible to other forum members.

I didn't understand that at all.

It was very strange having that come from Mark after 18 months of him not posting - as the other thread would suggest I did go to his clinic and have been to a number of his gigs, one of which was in that 18-month period. He even gave me some brushes.

Extremely eccentric behaviour.

Like Mike, I have huge respect for his playing, and although I admit will never be half as good a drummer as him, certainly did not expect that level of abuse.
metallicpearl Posted - 16/04/2012 : 13:42:14

martydrums Posted - 16/04/2012 : 13:34:18
Shame about Goatstarer Mike. OK, so some many of his posts should come with a "you need a thick skin for this one" warning. He is such a superb musician though, it is a shame we won't have him around on the forum no more. As you say though, it's your forum.
martydrums Posted - 16/04/2012 : 13:26:17
quote:

You simply must check this out!
Stopped me in my tracks!

http://youtu.be/n7EbDkzPm3k

Amazing.

Holy Guacamole!!!! Unbelievable, 12 years old
mike dolbear Posted - 16/04/2012 : 12:44:15
quote:

quote:

what a cock ...

Its saddens me but I have made a tough decision Mark your just not welcome hear.
You're a great drummer and one I have respected for many years but you just appear to come onto MY forum and stir it up when people are trying to be nice you throw it back in their face.

I have to admit when you stopped posting I was happy as I didn't have to worry about what you have gone and said now.

As this is my website and I pay for it I have decided that some of your postings cause me to many problems.

Like I said I love you're playing and your one of the best in the UK and I wish you all the best.

Yard Posted - 16/04/2012 : 12:37:28
quote:

quote:

Buddy would never get a gig in todays world..playing has moved on so they tell me?

Ha !!

I have to admit that he was incredible as I have never seen anyone look so confident on a kit apart from Vinnie,as though it was the simplest thing to do?

Vinnie is as close as it gets to full flow?

I also loved the fact that he was extremely nice to the band and always hugged and kissed each one daily whilst praising them for their fine work!

I can't see anyone coming anywhere close to his unique style...

Well,close but not a cigar in sight.He was an inspiration to all those who can appreciate a master and old time band leader as ruthless as Pete Murray...(I made that last bit up as Pete is a nice bloke)

GoatStarer Posted - 16/04/2012 : 12:23:44
quote:

Ha !!

Yard Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:22:57
thebeaver Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:09:08
Jeez you guys have nothing better to do than search for videos of a guy you don't enjoy watching?

Just remember that if Buddy was still alive and playing today, he wouldnt sound like Buddy in the 70s. His sound would have developed along with everyone elses.
Mr NoChops Posted - 15/04/2012 : 23:08:31
quote:

Oh guys, be nice. It isn't at all pleasant to be on the receiving end of an internet vendetta, as I would know better than anyone!

Hello readers!
Jonesy Posted - 15/04/2012 : 23:02:23
quote:
Originally posted by primo

That was the most awful thing I`ve ever heard or seen.Gregg Potter more like Brian Potter !

Or Harry Potter. Without the magic.
MrNoisy Posted - 15/04/2012 : 21:14:42
quote:

Oh guys, be nice. It isn't at all pleasant to be on the receiving end of an internet vendetta, as I would know better than anyone!

I must agree with you Pete ..... He is not a bad drummer at all just the wrong drummer for this gig.
Mr NoChops Posted - 15/04/2012 : 20:46:04

primo Posted - 15/04/2012 : 15:20:23
That was the most awful thing I`ve ever heard or seen.Gregg Potter more like Brian Potter !
crafty Posted - 14/04/2012 : 18:23:53
quote:

quote:

what a cock ...

And as for whoever nicked his towel, I suspect the queue started somewhere near Newcastle.
GoatStarer Posted - 14/04/2012 : 17:28:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUP3A9imOYU

MGM Posted - 14/04/2012 : 17:25:28
quote:
Originally posted by MarkMooch

quote:

What's a customer solo?

A solo from Keep the Customer Satisfied, I'd guess ?
GoatStarer Posted - 14/04/2012 : 17:16:39
how it should feel !

... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU60fUIv2H0&feature=player_embedded

GoatStarer Posted - 14/04/2012 : 16:41:25
quote:

what a cock ...

MarkMooch Posted - 14/04/2012 : 16:18:58
quote:

What's a customer solo?

I think I'd rather watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E
MarkMooch Posted - 14/04/2012 : 16:14:03
quote:
Originally posted by theslingerland

quote:

Stopped me in my tracks!

Amazing.

Utterly, utterly incredible.

Seconded! The man was BORN to play drums.
MustangMick Posted - 14/04/2012 : 15:09:52
quote:

It can't get much worse can it..............??????

Mick
theslingerland Posted - 14/04/2012 : 14:40:00
quote:

Stopped me in my tracks!

Amazing.

Utterly, utterly incredible.
Captain Bubble Posted - 14/04/2012 : 13:53:18
It is amazing. The video remarks about the BD accents and that other drummers in those days did "Four on the floor", but perhaps Ruddy Bich (!) had seen or been trained by old-school 'Double Drummers" who placed a pedal-less BD close to a steeply angled snare and hit accents on the BD with the sticks? Some music hall/vaudeville/cinema drummers continued Double drumming well into the days when BD pedals had become "reasonably" good in terms of action and reliability.
Mr NoChops Posted - 14/04/2012 : 13:45:36
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Bubble

A bit more practice and he might have got somewhere!

I wasn't aware this even existed, had only heard about it.
Extraordinary piece of drum history.

Captain Bubble Posted - 14/04/2012 : 13:37:44
A bit more practice and he might have got somewhere!
Mr NoChops Posted - 14/04/2012 : 13:25:59

Stopped me in my tracks!

Amazing.
Mr NoChops Posted - 14/04/2012 : 13:03:44
On a more positive note can I recommend an excellent article which appeared in the 2011 'Z Time' magazine published by Zildjian entitled 'The Legends Talk About Buddy Rich'.

The piece consists of 8 drummers (7 US and 1 UK) sharing succint and insightful thoughts about BR. Really well worth a look.

crafty Posted - 14/04/2012 : 10:50:25
In the light of what Mike posted regarding comments, I thought the dropped beat at 7m56s and the accusing glare at the bass player absolutely underlines the genius of the drummer. Bravo!

Ed
knockermalin Posted - 14/04/2012 : 09:50:35
quote:

Oh dear! If you watch carefully at 2 minutes and 6 seconds in, Jay Craig (one of the UK's finest sax players/bandleaders) is seen to scratch his head. I would love to know if he had a genuine itch or was he thinking "What the f**k is going on here?!"
mike dolbear Posted - 14/04/2012 : 03:46:05
Before this topic gets out of hand and I start getting threatening emails (again) about contents of this topic please make sure you are aware of the terms of using the forum.
http://www.mikedolbear.com/forum/T&Cs.htm section 4 and 6

jamoca Posted - 13/04/2012 : 22:23:36
?!
Drumheduk Posted - 13/04/2012 : 21:14:01
On another note, I have it on very good authority that Clem's first words when being told that they wanted to give him the award was "why?" totally down to earth, lovely human being.
Mr NoChops Posted - 13/04/2012 : 20:43:31

Yard Posted - 13/04/2012 : 19:11:11
quote:

This thread is the best fun we've had since the malicious 'KD drums bankrupt' thread.....and we know who was responsible for that don't we boys and girls?

Pray tell...?
Captain Bubble Posted - 13/04/2012 : 19:09:29
quote:
Originally posted by crafty

Check Buddy's solo at a fraction of the speed - still very groovy and quite New Orleans. You get used to the vibe..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLV5QOxJg_A&feature=related#t=11m11s

Then hear it in real time and everything kicks off..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73whglJTKVI&feature=related#t=00m11s

Keep swapping between the two. It's fascinating. Two great performances in one.

Ed

Missed this earlier, great post! Oddly, I really LOVE the slo-mo, very funky and New Orleans and swinging.
Yard Posted - 13/04/2012 : 18:53:43
Buddy makes it all look far too easy until you actually try it?

mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000