mikedolbear.com discussion forum

Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

Main Site | Shop | Classifieds | Links | Events | Frappr | Terms of Use

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Off Topic
 B&T Music, Hastings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Captain Bubble Posted - 20/03/2017 : 16:08:48
Made my first visit today, for a look and possibly to get a new crash cymbal. Pretty good and varied range of instruments and accessories and pleasant staff. Not as much drum stuff as dedicated drum shop, but still a useful variety and lots of small percussion items.

Ended up buying a used Istanbul 17" crash (fairly thin) which is also a nice dark ride when not played hard. Also bought a new Cordoba Tenor Ukulele with active piezo bridge pick-up and a rigid case for it. Got a good trade in for my old Tenor uke and a bit of discount too. The uke even came fitted with my favourite strings, Aquila, which they also sell.

My beautiful old Paiste 602 Thin crash which I bought in about 1975 is now officially retired. It took far more heavy whackery than it was designed for, and over the years I twice had to lathe an inch off the edge, so it is now about 14" and tonally is a shadow of its former self, and new cracks are starting to appear. The Istanbul sounds great on the kit, its crash is damn nearly as good as the 602 was when at its best, and it rides better, so I am very happy.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Captain Bubble Posted - 12/04/2017 : 19:42:51
Cheers RTit's still a bit new but now starting to settle! Very nice instruments and playing in that video. I did play guitar and banjo a bit, but found ukulele for some of the unusual chords and harmonies I sometimes like to com up with, but as you are used to six strings you may get on well with something like those. There are also 8 string ukes (4 pairs) , particularly Tenors and I would like one of these one day, but plenty of higher priorities. Very happy indeed with my Cordoba!
rollingthunder Posted - 12/04/2017 : 09:13:01
Very nice. I was checking the Córdoba website and I came across this. Six strings!

https://youtu.be/et3g3YPXIkQ

That would be more my style.
Captain Bubble Posted - 09/04/2017 : 15:35:31
Chortle!

Yup, Mandolin and Charango are a "one day" idea! I have payed at the same gigs as Pepper and Shepherd occasionally, enjoy their fine Mandolin work!

Here's a newkule tune I am working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tio2MoEMjAk
rollingthunder Posted - 28/03/2017 : 10:48:54
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Bubble

I have an old family mandolin, nice instrument but feels wrong to me. One day I might tune it uke-style "My Dog Has Fleas" and see if I can make something of it, but at present it's still a "One Day..." idea.

I believe it was a chap called Bob Martin that came up with that tuning.

[urlhttps://www.bobmartin.co.uk/media/bobmartincorp_uk/1305/productpage_header_clear.png][/url]

Seriously though, I'd stick with the Uke. It's more user friendly. It's easier to play and can be incorporated into more different styles of music. The Mandolin is a bit like the fiddle or banjo in that if you can't play it properly it sounds like a nightmare. They're noisy little beggars and if your not making the right noise, it's hellish.
Captain Bubble Posted - 22/03/2017 : 11:21:00
I have an old family mandolin, nice instrument but feels wrong to me. One day I might tune it uke-style "My Dog Has Fleas" and see if I can make something of it, but at present it's still a "One Day..." idea.
rollingthunder Posted - 22/03/2017 : 10:20:41
Córdoba is a relatively new company. They started in the nineties, but their guitars are based on designs from the 1800's and their top line guitars are hand made in Spain. Classical and Flamenco guitars are built differently from steel string acoustics. They are very light weight and have a different bracing pattern and are built by attaching the top to the neck, then the sides and finally the back is attached. With steel string guitars the top, back and sides are put together then the neck is attached last. I don't remember why they do it like that, but it's the traditional Spanish way. It takes longer and therefore costs more and not all the makers do it, but Córdoba do.
I didn't realise they made Ukeleles. It's really inspiring when you find an instrument that ticks all the boxes.
I've been going to get myself a Uke for a few years now, but got sidetracked by the Mandolin. A hateful little instrument with an impossibly narrow neck and no sustain whatsoever that defies you to master it. I managed to get myself onto a record recently on Mandolin including a solo, but I sweated blood getting there.
Captain Bubble Posted - 22/03/2017 : 08:59:12
I had never heard of even their guitars! I tend to be hesitant of unknown brands and tried several other Cordoba and other brands, but this one instantly felt right, its intonation is fine right up to the dusty end of the neck (unlike my old one) and its slightly wider neck really suits my music and playing. I have started writing a new tune on it because it is so nice to play. This is the model I bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9n57VkQTWY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m46s
rollingthunder Posted - 22/03/2017 : 07:41:06
A music shop that isn't four hours drive away and four hours back? You lucky devil. Sounds great. I've got a Córdoba flamenco guitar, slightly different from a classical, but the proper build and made in Spain. I would imagine their Ukes will be of similar quality.
A music shop in the same postcode would be great.

mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000