Kashmir
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19675 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  16:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Headphones or best speakers, turn volume all the way down to deafening. It's Friday, BLAM!

https://vimeo.com/80222634

I reckon that's percussion ace Hossam Ramsi leading the Rai musicians. I just love this Eastern influenced Led Zep great.

Marcus de Mowbray
www.330studios.co.uk/marcus

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  19:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a nice production and the whole group seemed very gripped with there performance but for me not really a fan of drummers that kind of get carried away with the set and ends up being a bit showy.Otherwise great take on a true classic but as I type if they showed a little less it would make a better classic performance with an eastern twist.
Spicey

Drumming is like a meeting to conduct business.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19675 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  07:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean, but to me this showy arrangement is absolutely stunning!

Marcus de Mowbray
Go to Top of Page

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  12:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Bubble

I know what you mean, but to me this showy arrangement is absolutely stunning!

Thanks Captain-likewise the post is a good call and overall very impressed.As an think of it as if this was the original say from the 70s then we got to see the 70s today kind of back to the furture kind of thing Kashmir would rock like hell but the wayTV etc is portrayed with lighting etc it's kind of revamped and presented in a genre that cuts.

But great production value and again many thanks for posting as it's such a wonderful track and this Orchestral version really added some spice to it.

Drumming is like a meeting to conduct business.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19675 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  18:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although this is one of my favourite LZ songs I had not heard it for ages, and this just wowed me though I still love the original version

Marcus de Mowbray
Go to Top of Page

moosetication
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
12709 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  20:57:21  Show Profile  Visit moosetication's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love Plant's reaction to Michael Lee's monster fill at 8:19...

"It's just a rest, no need to complicate it with monkeys." - sunshinehead
SITMS #31/582 (B'ham) #31/798 (M'cr) | The Blue Road | Bewarethisboy
Go to Top of Page

rytenuff
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
3744 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2017 :  02:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesus! What a screeching, tuneless, bloody noise Plant makes.

Regards
George Mac

Go to Top of Page

martydrums
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
7639 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  10:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marcus. I really enjoyed this. Kashmir takes the North Aftrican treatment really well I'd say. The late, great Michael Lee giving it some welly. Like Moose says, that reaction from Plant at the 8:19 fill says so much (in fact I think you can just make him out shouting "YES", even though he is quite far off mic. I'm lovin' the bass drum sound by the way.

No one will ever be as Bonzo as Bonzo but Michael did do a great job with Zep material.

Official Sugar Daddy of the forum's Sonor Delite appreciation society, as nominated by Jamoca - Honorary President Paul Brook

Go to Top of Page

rollingthunder
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2492 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2017 :  07:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Page is playing in DADGAD tuning which helps produce that North African vibe with open drone strings. You can't get that combination of notes in standard tuning unless you have freakishly long fingers. At the time everyone thought Page was a genius for coming up with such a revolutionary tuning, not realising it had been around since Scottish jazz/blues guitarist Davey Graham came up with it in the early sixties. Page did nothing to dispel this myth.
I loved the way Michael Lee went about his business.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19675 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2017 :  07:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, Davey Graham, excellent! I agree that Mike Lee was excellent too, a very sad loss. Shortly before he died I found myself sitting opposite him on a Tube train to Heathrow.

Marcus de Mowbray
Go to Top of Page

martydrums
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
7639 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  17:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rollingthunder

Page is playing in DADGAD tuning...

I was so going to point this out...NOT

Official Sugar Daddy of the forum's Sonor Delite appreciation society, as nominated by Jamoca - Honorary President Paul Brook

Go to Top of Page

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19675 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just learned that the guitarist I played for last year at Broadstairs Blues Bash, John Pearson, had a duet with Davey Graham back in the 1960s

Marcus de Mowbray
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000