New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2017 :  12:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so have the DVD and the follow up of the book "Steve Gadd Up Close" Question is in the DVD which version or variation does Steve play to this as all the ones in the book don't seem quite right?

Its probably just me but would like to get the sticking method right so as to practice more but getting a bit frustrated as it just wont gel at the moment

Drumming is like a meeting to conduct business.

JGodsall
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
4139 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2017 :  18:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The transcription in the 'Up Close' book is pretty close to the video (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzvYcCb248). A few details in the transcription seem like approximations of what he actually plays, but in terms of the overall structure it's fine. Are there any bits in particular you're struggling with?
Go to Top of Page

JGodsall
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
4139 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2017 :  18:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Gadd plays it slightly differently every time, too, so I wouldn't get hung up on nailing it exactly as per that transcription.
Go to Top of Page

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2017 :  14:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the reply very gratfefulYes its a bit of a wondered this one but it was really does he lead with the left or the right as those doubles seem quite fast to me and get them to sound even like in the roll may need some more practice on my part.Most of its fine but it would. E good just to find out which one from all the transcripts he played or noted was the most accurate to follow then I can use to play my variations of too as well.Just a personal thing but its getting a bit challenging now but will not hang on it that will just make it go negative for me

Go to Top of Page

JGodsall
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
4139 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2017 :  12:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah right, I see what you mean. I have trouble playing those 7-stroke rolls at speed too, but I think he does play them as written: ll-rr-ll-R. At that tempo you could 'cheat' and play them as 5-stroke rolls to simplify: rr-ll-R. If you watch more recent videos he does play the whole thing at a slower tempo, though, so starting slow and building them up is definitely a good approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apaos7n5NnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujamC4oI5N4
Go to Top of Page

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  20:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for thatthought so about the five thing-kind of fits better at speed it was just all that buzzing was confusing me.But at least the sticking was the same that was the thing that bugged me as to whether he may have flamed a few etcVery grateful for the advice and shall continue shredding over the weekend.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000