Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DRuM
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2608 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  15:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello lovely laddies and lasses.

I don't really play jazz much, my gigs are more like the majority of folk here, good ol' pop and rock which I love playing. So I thought I'd share something I recorded at home yesterday that mostly veers away from 2 & 4 snare, and puts the 2 & 4 on the hi-hat instead.

Interestingly, on listening back to my first few takes I noticed how loud and jarring some of my snare hits were, even though they were still way softer than when I play pop. The volume was, to my ears, out of balance and not subtle enough for this type of music, or at least, for how I wanted to approach it. So I realised just how soft I would need to play the snare hits to get it something close to the right level and nuance.

Hope you enjoy, if only for the t-shirt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtSrIGSUXY

Tex
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2057 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  17:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my last post. To play low volume not only do you need a lower height but you need a slower speed of sticking.
Example; hit the drum as fast as you can from a few heights.
Then hit the drum as slow as you can from different heights.
Try the same with singles, doubles and mixed sticking rudiments. First as fast as you can then as slow as you can.
I don't mean slow as in time. I mean slow as in movement. If you use a metronome keep the same speed setting for both fast and slow sticking.
Don't swipe at the snare.... WIPE at the snare. Like you're cleaning windows...

When setting up the kit and playing one must put the carpet down before the furniture goes on top
Go to Top of Page

hector1
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2607 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  20:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep Nice one again Drum-to be able to re present any Jazz on an Electric kit is quite something else as the Acoustic kits are the master players for this. So impressed with the results and your sensitivity settings must be right on the edge there at times to get those triggers to compliment your works.
Also as Tex mentions please take a look at his topics covered from earlier posting be well worth the while.

Drumming is like a meeting to conduct business.
Go to Top of Page

Tex
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2057 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  21:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vid looks and sounds fine. If in Liverpool on Tuesdays you'd be well in at the Jam nights (11pm after main band) on Fredericks, Hope St.

When setting up the kit and playing one must put the carpet down before the furniture goes on top
Go to Top of Page

DRuM
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2608 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  23:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks chaps. I'm nowhere near Liverpool, I'm in London but I'll keep that Jam night in mind. And Tex, I'll have a read of your last posts, sounds interesting!

Cheers for the compliment hector, I went through every snare drum on this kit until I found one that articulates ghost notes as most of the other snares don't really.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Bubble
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
19674 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2017 :  07:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Captain Bubble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice relaxed playing, And I agree with hector1 about playing jazz on an ekit!

Marcus de Mowbray
www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
Go to Top of Page

DRuM
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2608 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2017 :  19:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marcus :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic